About Us

Background and history

The Lalor Tennis Club has a proud 56 year history which makes it one of the oldest Clubs in the district. It was first established in 1957 in Sydney Crescent, Lalor. The first two courts were made of asphalt and laid down by the late, Neil Evans. Neil was a builder by trade and, in the post-war period built many of the houses in the district. His wife Dot Evans recalls a team of dedicated helpers laying down the asphalt in an area that was mostly surrounded by paddocks. The club-house was built soon afterwards and once again attracted the support of many helpers. The original two courts and clubhouse still exist today reflecting our continued service to the community.

Established:
1957

Celebrating over 50 years of service to the community.
 
 Lalor Tennis Club Today.
We are a family oriented club and organise programs and events to cater for this as well as for people of all ages and abilities. Our membership spans 25 nationalities and we embrace each other's cultures as a part of our spirit of inclusion and social programs. Our large group of Juniors play competition in the North Eastern Junior Tennis Association.
We were Winners of the Rebel Sport / Leader Newspaper/RACV Grass Roots Junior Award in 2008 and 2009 and won the Senior Grass Roots Award in 2010.
Our Club is also a Member of the Lalor Links Program.


The Future

During the next few years the Lalor Tennis Club will further improve all aspects of its services and contribution to the community. Included in this is the upgrading our facilities and programs. An important part of this process will be the transition period during which the refurbishment will take place, at the end of which we will expect to offer increased accessibility to “people of all ages, abilities and cultural backgrounds”, enable new and existing members to enjoy tennis on both social and competitive levels in a “welcoming, fun filled and affordable environment,” increase the number of programmes we offer and extend those already existing.


On Monday 17th November 2014 temporary fencing was assembled around the old en-tout-cas courts  in preparation for building the new courts. Above, members of Ian Goolagong's competition teams gathered to celebrate this historical moment.  


Below  is a sketch of our new facilities which will be built in stages over the next couple of years. Stage one includes the redevelopment of the northernmost courts starting early December 2014.